Nandos launches first global 100% eco-friendly restaurant in Cambridge

Casual dining chicken chain, Nando's has just launched its first ever 100% eco-friendly restaurant in Cambridge - the first of its kind in the world.

The 'Next Generation Nando's' has opened at Cambridge Retail Park with 36 staff and a whole host of sustainable, high-tech features.

A cleverly designed roof is insulated to keep the restaurant warm on the inside, while also harvesting rainwater to keep plants on the outside hydrated.

Inside the restaurant, intricate lamp shades made from mushrooms light the eating areas, and there is an entire wall of real plants, and natural insulation made from Cumbrian sheep's wool.

The Cambridge eatery is the first Nando's in the world to be powered by 100% renewable electricity and gas.

There are 97 solar panels on the roof which provide about 10% of the site’s energy, while UK hydropower and Anaerobic Digestion will generate electricity, and gas will be provided by UK Anaerobic Digestion – the remaining 90%.

A heat recovery system in the extractor ducts helps save on energy needed to heat the air, and a system located behind the grill gives the majority of the heat for hot water. The heating is also set up to turn off when the air-con is on, and will switch off entirely when it's warmer than 15°C.